Our client, a leading global law firm, is seeking an Of Counsel, Privacy Product to join their expanding privacy practice group. The ideal candidate will have significant legal experience focused on product counseling and technology transactions work, and a strong interest in the intersection of law and data-driven products. In this role, you will evaluate client products, services, and partnerships to assess information risks, draft consumer disclosures and internal policy documents related to privacy and data use and negotiate complex deals to finalize data-sharing business partnerships. This privacy counsel should have good foundational experience scoping client work, creating data workflows, and project managing client engagements. As a senior member of this data privacy practice, the ideal candidate will have experience liaising with product engineering and technical teams. A background in US-privacy laws (CCPA, CPRA, and others) is a requirement; candidates with a good understanding of GDPR is preferred. This privacy attorney will work with junior associates to mentor, manage, and facilitate their meaningful growth across the organization. Individuals with telecom, entertainment, OTT, or other related data-driven industry experience will be considered first. Candidates with a CIPP/US certification will be given preference. This person must reside and be barred in a jurisdiction where our client currently has a U.S. office. The ideal candidate would be located in these preferred cities: Boston, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, or Tampa.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Admission to bar in state of practice
- Significant legal experience, including experience working in-house, either as a full-time employee or secondee
- Familiarity with key U.S. and global privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act/California Privacy Rights Act, Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, Colorado Privacy Act, and EU General Data Protection Regulation
- Experience conducting privacy risk assessments and working with clients to document data flows and related requirements
- Experience drafting and negotiating data sharing contracts, including negotiating data protection addendums
- Experience developing and leading training for junior associates
- Telecommunications industry experience preferred
- CIPP/US certification is strongly preferred
This position may be filled in New York City, Colorado or California. In accordance with the New York City Human Rights Law, the Colorado Equal Pay Act, and the California Pay Transparency Law, the pay range for this position in New York City, Colorado, and California is $370,000 - $415,000/yr. This range is specific to these three locations and may not be applicable to other locations. An individual's actual compensation will depend on the individual's qualifications and experience.